Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Value of Teaching Pt. 1

A few weeks back, the girlfriend and I volunteered to help with an art class for disenfranchised youth on the east side of Indianapolis. I've had very little experience with teaching but that was fine because we would not be by ourselves. we were two of about six volunteers, not including the instructor, that would work with the children that early Saturday morning.

I was very surprised to see the enthusiasm and vigor that these kids displayed using their pastels and paints, making works that even I, as an adult professional artist, was taken aback by. I've read that children have a wonderfully inherent sense of design and composition till around the age of eight or nine, then a stage of brain development kicks in and "POOF", its gone. Its up to that child to find it, reactivate it and nurture it later down the road. Now I was seeing this first hand.

I left feeling very fulfilled even though I hadn't much time to work with the Children. Seeing the potential and the excitement these kids had, I thought; what could I offer a youngster who had artistic inclination and a real enjoyment for it? Could I teach him/her the tools to choose art as a career? Could I teach them how to be better than me?

This weekend I have been offered another unique opportunity: Teaching the class how to draw cartoons and caricatures by myself. I will post pictures and continue this post in part 2.

No comments: